With thanks to Nokia Ireland once again we have had the chance be the first in ireland to get our hands on the fabulous nokia lumia 925,and its once piece of kit especially for the camera fan.
A few weeks ago we also were the first to bring you the first look at it here in ireland when we where invited to the nokia bus,by Tony, Colm,and bobby from the social media team at meteor which came to dublin which was also a great experience..
So lets take a look at the phone and go through it in some detail.
Whats in the box?
The packaging is the standard lumia box which is neat and presentable,this time to tag to open it has been replaced with material rather than the standard cardboard tag.
Box Contents.Nokia Lumia 925, Nokia AC-50 MicroUSB Charger, Nokia Charging and Data Cable CA-190CD, Nokia Headset WH-208, Quick guide, SIM Door Key.
We have had both the silver and black version of the device.
Lets take a look around the device now and show you whats happening.
The Top of the device!
On the top we have the heaphone jack,usb port,sim tray,and a mic.
On the left hand side and on the bottom is just bare nothing to see at all.
On the right hand side we have some more!
We have the volume keys and we have a dedicated fast acting camera button and also we have the power on/off key.
129 mm tall-8.5 mm thick and 70.6 mm wide.It weighs 139g.
The Display is much improved over the 920 and has better sunlight legibility.
- Display size: 4.5 ”
- Display resolution: WXGA (1280 x 768)
- Display features: ClearBlack, Brightness control, Orientation sensor, High brightness mode, Sunlight readability enhancements, Refresh rate 60 Hz, Corning Gorilla Glass 2, Sculpted glass, Easy to clean, Nokia Glance screen, Lumia Color profile, Wide viewing angle, PureMotion HD+
- Display colors: TrueColor (24-bit/16M)
- Aspect ratio: 15:9
- Pixel density: 334 ppi
- Display technology: AMOLED
- Touch screen technology: Super-sensitive touch
- Sensors: Ambient light sensor, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity sensor, Magnetometer.
Now lets take a look at the camera.
Image credit to Joel Willans at Nokia Conversations!
The Nokia Lumia 925 has an 8.7MP camera that shoots 8MP photos (3264 x 2448) in 4:3 mode and 7MP photos (3552 x 2000) in 16:9 mode.
The latest camera software Nokia has raised the maximum ISO setting from 800 to 3,200 and has tweaked image processing in low-light conditions.It uses PureView technology, Carl Zeiss optics and six physical lenses. The Action Shot feature in Nokia Smart Camera lets you snap once to get a sequence of movements in a single high-quality image.
Smart Camera- Smart Shoot and is based on technology developed by Scalado .
It shoots a burst of 10 photos at 5MP resolution and allows you to edit those photos later. When editing a Smart Camera photo you choose one of several modes by swiping through their respective cards, each with a helpful labels Here you can pick your desired shot or let it decide for you.This is truly great stuff and there is also other lenses you can pick from too such as Panorama,glan me and cinemagraph and photobeamer.
Main Camera specs.
- Primary camera sensor size: 8.7 MP PureView
- Camera Focus Type: Auto focus with two-stage capture key
- Camera digital zoom: 4 x
- Carl Zeiss Tessar lens: Yes
- Sensor size: 1/3 inch
- Main camera f-number/aperture: f/2.0
- Camera focal length: 26 mm
- Camera minimum focus range: 8 cm
- Camera image formats: JPEG/Exif
- Camera Flash Type: Dual LED flash
- Flash operating range: 3.0 m
- Flash modes: Off, Automatic, On
- Secondary camera resolution: 1280 x 960 pixels
- Secondary camera f-number/aperture: f/2.4
- Secondary camera – other features: Video recording, Still image capture, Video call, HD 1.2 MP wide angle.
- Main video camera
- Camera video resolution: 1080p (Full HD, 1920 x 1080)
- Camera video frame rate: 30 fps
- Camera video zoom: 4 x
- Video playback frame rate: 30 fps
- Video playback codecs: VC-1, Windows video, H.264/AVC, H.263, MPEG-4
- Video playback file formats: MP4, WMV, AVI, 3GP, 3G2, M4V, MOV
- Video recording formats: MP4/H.264
- Video white balance modes: Cloudy, Fluorescent, Incandescent, Automatic, Daylight
- Main video camera features
- Video streaming: YouTube browsing and video streaming, Progressive video download, Streaming from video services and internet
- Video recording features: Video light, Video zoom, Optical image stabilization, Continuous autofocus
- Secondary video camera
- Secondary video camera resolution: 720p (HD, 1280 x 720)
- Secondary camera video recording format: MP4/H.264
Music player is excellent especially when using purity pro,although i did find the sound a little lower compared to using wired headphones but thats my observation.I do like my music loud.
- Music apps: Nokia Music, Mix Radio
- DRM support: PlayReady
- Audio features: Album graphics display in Music player, Audio Streaming, Dolby Headphone, Music Player, Cloud music offline playback, Media Player, Graphical equalizer, Podcasts, Cloud music playback.
- Codecs: MP3, AMR-NB, WMA 10 Pro, GSM FR, WMA 9, AAC LC, AAC+/HEAAC, eAAC+/HEAACv2
- Audio playback file formats: ASF, MP4, AAC, AMR, MP3, M4A, WMA, 3GP, 3G2.
- User data storage: In device, SkyDrive cloud storage
- RAM: 1 GB
- Mass memory5: 16 GB, 32 GB
- Free cloud storage: 7 GB.
- Processor name: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ S4
- Processor type: Dual-core 1.5 GHz .
- Battery: BL-4YW
- Battery capacity: 2000 mAh
- Battery voltage: 4.2 V
- Removable battery: No
- Talk time (2G): 18.3 h
- Standby time (3G): 440 h
- Talk time (3G): 12.8 h
- Maximum cellular network browsing time: 6 h
- Music playback time: 55 h
- Maximum Wi-Fi network browsing time: 7.2 h
- Wireless charging: Yes, with accessory cover .
The average user will get a full day from the battery and more,power users like myself would need to have a charger at standby,if you have several email accounts and social media sites etc running you will need to charge in office or if your on the road an in car charger.
Above is myself meeting the guys at nokia ireland, (from the left) i sat down with Mark Squires,Eoin Cruise and James Guion and i was given a superb demo of the 925 and whats coming for nokia and lumia products.You really need to get hold of one yourself to see the true power and brilliance and low light capabilities of the camera tech that nokia has provided to its consumers.
My over all thoughts are pretty good as a 920 owner i feel the 925 may not be for them but if your a camera fan its for you and nokia fans alike will also purchase this.
Why its better than the 925? In my opinion its lighter, faster,nice solid design,better screen and the camera has upped its game.
The OS which i have not touched on is the same so any WP8 users will see this,but overall i think its slightly more fluid.There is still a lack of apps but that situation is improving,the main issue is apps for users in ireland of late we have seen some good apps released on other platforms and big irish companies need to wake up and stop favoring mainly iOS and android
Windows Phone is the 3rd OS and the sooner the better people realize that the better,of the recent apps ive seen released there is people crying for windows phone adoption this is also a key contributor the OS and its success,people want apps its simple,and this is also key to the success of windows phone.
The 925 is available on meteor,vodafone,emobile and 02. 3 is the only network not to stock this which is not pleasing many.
Thanks for reading!